Sunday, October 18, 2009

Motivation, or lack there of.......

In September I completed my first 5k swim on a Saturday, and then jogged a nice 5k on that Sunday. It made for a fun, but very tiring weekend. The training for it helped to keep me motivated to work out, a goal to work towards, and direction. Since then I have decided to start training for a half marathon. This will be a challenge as I am not a natural runner and it takes a few workouts before I get my groove and start to enjoy it. Inevitably I miss a few work outs and then the new found for love of running I had gained is lost again. Sometimes new workout gear such as shoes, clothes, or other fun things help to motivate me to hit the road again. Then it gets rainy out and I am not a die hard runner to go out in the rain. I am currently in the rut where I have not been running in over a week.

Running is an interesting sport. At a glimpse it looks simple and cheap. You can get shoes from payless or walmart for a good price. You can get basic clothes to wear such as cotton socks, and a pair of comfy sweat pants to run in. And then you just move. You move till your lungs hurt and your sides are cramping. Then you walk. But as you get into the habit, you start wanting to improve so you invest in magazines such as Runner's World or Women's Running. They give workout advice, training advice, and of course advertisements for gear that will making running a much more enjoyable experience. Then there are the technology gadgets that can help improve the efficiency of the training. Sigh, you can spend more time learning what to do to make yourself a better runner than actually running.

So today since it is chilly out and I had a long weeekend, I have spent the day catching up on magazine articles and advertisements to see what I need to be a better a runner. The first step however would be to get off this couch and actually go for a run. Hrm maybe after dinner......

No comments:

Post a Comment